Mike talks to political scientist John Sides about his Democracy Fund Voter Study Group report, ‘Muslims in America: Public Perceptions in the Trump Era‘.
Dr. Sides is an associate professor of political science at The George Washington University, co-author of the books Identity Crisis: The 2016 Presidential Campaign and the Battle for the Meaning of America (coming out in September of 2018) and The Gamble: Choice and Chance in the 2012 Presidential Election, as well as a founder and the editor-in-chief of the political science blog, The Monkey Cage.
Topics Mike and Dr. Sides discuss include:
- How favorably Americans rate Muslims.
- Differences in how Republicans and Democrats rate Muslims.
- How education affects Muslim bias.
- Public support for a Muslim ban.
- Americans’ views of Muslims compared to Muslim Americans’ own views about themselves.
- Mainstream media’s role in perpetuating anti-Muslim bias.
Listener support helps make The Politics Guys possible. If you’re interested in supporting the show, go to politicsguys.com/support.