Mike talks to University of Maryland cultural psychologist Michele Gelfand about her new book, Rule Makers, Rule Breakers: How Tight and Loose Cultures Wire the World.
Topics Mike and Michele discuss include:
- the importance of culture in understanding politics
- why some cultures are ‘tight’ and others are ‘loose’
- the advantages and disadvantages of tightness and looseness
- tight culture support for ‘loose’ Donald Trump
- the geography of tightness and looseness in the United States
- threat perception, political ideology, and tightness
- if the United States should be tighter or looser than it is
- how tight and loose cultures can better communicate
- and lots more
Listener support helps make The Politics Guys possible. If you’re interested in supporting the show, go to politicsguys.com/support.